In a message dated 19/10/2003 16:02:20 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
writes:

> Jean wrote:   Why did I use two different types of pins, I was
> told by my teacher to use brass not stainless steel in
> her class so I did as I was told till I got home and changed
> to stainless steel.  <snipped>
> 
> As an uneducated newbie I have to ask why stainless steel would not be
> considered superior to brass especially in a high humidity area? I
> confess to using an assortment of pins - most from my sewing pins stash
> but I like them better than the very bendable, short  ones I got with my
> pillows. Since I'm doing *fat* threads it doesn't seem to matter what my
> pins are.
> 
> Darlene Mulholland 
> www.darlenem.com

Why?  Because there was a fashion about 10 - 12 years ago to tell new pupils 
that you ONLY used brass because IT DID NOT TARNISH OR RUST.  

Ok, so we all know better now and with the demise of the brass pin industry 
we are moving to stainless steel.  But the thing that always bothered me was 
that if brass did not tarnish why did we also get told to have a pin cushion 
with emery powder in it to sharpen and polish the pins?

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now - see 
what it's all about

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to