I was fortunate to find myself in Washington, DC on the first Wednesday of 
the month when it is possible, by advance registration made by calling (202) 
343-1098 to take a Lace Tour of the Smithsonian. I was taken up to the textile 
room where Sheryl DeJong read a script of the history of lace while pulling out 
drawer after drawer of laces to illustrate it. I am sure I saw at least 50 
pieces of lace, probably many more, covering the entire spectrum from the 
earliest days to modern production. The talk was also illustrated by a remarkable 3 
ring binder full of color photocopies of portraits showing the use of the laces 
in costume throughout history. The portraits were from museums all over the 
world and represented a breath-taking amount of effort and scholarship. There 
were also technical illustrations of various grounds and other techniques in 
the notebook. The entire tour took us 1 1/2 hours, which might have been long, 
because I ask a lot of questions. I also had the opportunity to see the 
Chesapeake Guild demonstrating lacemaking from 1-2pm, an event well-publicized within 
the museum with an eyecatching stancheon.
I understand that this remarkable experience is largely the result of the 
effort of Karen Thompson. My hat's off to her. I am sure she has invested at 
least a thousand hours in it. Kudos to the Chesapeake Guild! Grateful thanks to 
Sheryl DeJong. I advise anyone who can to take advantage of the opportunity.
Devon
in awe, in New Jersey

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to