> ... Don't unsubscribe from spam emails - just delete
> them and ignore them. Responses let them know that your email address is
> live and could generate more scams/spam.
>
> Jean in Poole

And don't even open messages you suspect are spam.  I didn't realise until
recently that some emails contain Web Beacons, which means that when you
open the message, the beacon sends back a message to let the sender know
that you've opened it.  This confirms to them that your address is valid.

It seems that Hotmail offers a defence against Web Beacons (see
http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/2203251 ).  Outlook 2003 can
protect against them too.  I don't know about other ISPs and email clients.

As to not knowing who to trust, I think the advice is never to follow any of
the links in these emails, but always to go to the site manually using the
address that you normally use.  That means you can't be redirected to a
look-alike site run by the scammer.

Regards,
Annette in London

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to