[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I don't see the *need* to pre-prick a pattern

Time to add my tuppence worth.  The *need* depends very much on the lace you
are making.  It is relatively easy to prick-as-you-go when you are doing lace
of the type you were talking about in your post.  The holes are usually well
spaced, and if one is slightly out of line it probably won't notice.

On the other hand, for Julie who is working her way through Bucks, where the
pin holes are close together and multitudinous, to try to prick as you go is
very much more difficult and has the potential for disaster, because it is so
easy to miss a hole half hidden by a gimp line, or by mis-pricking slightly
through all the threads to have one hole where two should be.  Also you can work
this many-pin lace much more fluently if you can just put the pin in the hole.

If you time how long it takes to prick a hole in a flat pricking on a board,
about half a second I would reckon, and compare that to accurately finding the
hole in the gap between pin and thread, trying to accurately prick with a pin
or reaching yet again for your pricker and then picking up and placing the
pin you'll get the idea.  It only feels as if you are saving time.

I have just finished a couple of bits of Milanese which I pricked before I
worked them - and kept wondering why I had.  Having studied Withof worked on an
undotted outline where you put the pin where you need it, I now enjoy doing
that, and in Withof and similar laces it is accepted that you will prick as you
go.  In Milanese sometimes you need the holes opposite each other and
sometimes as a zig-zag depending on the braid chosen, so I was making new holes where
I needed them because I had revised my plans as I worked.  When the holes are
close to start with, there's not much of a gap to have second thoughts in.  So
yes, as I said above, this way placing pins can be slower but if you're not
sure where you are going to want the pins it can be a lot easier and I don't
believe you do *need* to prick first.

Picking up on the thread about the "angle" of the hole, I was taught that the
pricker should be held as near vertically as possible to get the most
accurate pricking.  I think that when I am pricking I am concentrating on accuracy
without worrying at which angle I should be pricking at.  And although I follow
the basic 'edge pins out and middle pins back' rule, the pins around design
features go at a slightly different angle to those that are 'just' ground, to
give the workers more support for tensioning.  I don't think I could cope with
working all that out as I prick but it just happens as I lace.

Jacquie - Tempted by the thoughts of starting a new bit of lace and at the
same time bitten by my conscience to work on a UFO?