Actually, now this shows how I haven't made any lace for two months, I
got my big pillow out that I was blogging on and thought about what I
had said about having it prepricked as it was so big so I could work out
where the two halves should be.

Here is another reason for pre-pricking if you make lace like I do and
before you all start shouting I'm not implying that I make it better or
worse than anyone else but this is just an observation from when I've
made lace with other lacemakers.

I make lace very fast.  I am ambidextrous when making lace and move
bobbins with both hands at the same time and when making similar lace of
the same width, style no of bobbins as other lacemakers of the same
experience I make it roughly half as fast again as they make it.

If I had to stop to prick the pattern it would slow me down considerable.

I did put up a stuck and filmed pattern once for a Springett miniature
fan and pricked as I went - this slowed my lacemaking down to the point
that I had to stop and prick all the rest of the pattern.

The lace group that I first joined used to run Saturday workshops on
things that were craft but not lace related, as a bit of fun.  One of
these was a white embroidery course and the lady that taught it was
fantastic, a great teacher and also a great lacemaker and during the day
I said that I didn't like pricking patterns but had to because they
slowed down my lacemaking.

She said that all lacemaking activities were a meditative thing to enjoy
and that if you looked at it as that then you would enjoy it all.

I thought this was a bit suss until I started doing yoga where you went
through the cycles of movements and lost yourself in the repitition.

OK, so I still hate mounting lace, but ever since when I'm a bit
stressed, I pick a pattern and lock myself away in my bedroom with a
great CD on or the afternoon play on the radio and just enjoy the
repeativeness of the rythmic pricking.

I picked this up quickly as it is very much how I make lace - I don't
think as I do it, I just make the lace according to how the pattern
feels, which works as well for honiton and Bucks as for torchon.

Whether you prick through a copy then draw in the pattern or stick and
film then prick it doesn't matter, it's the act of loosing yourself in
it that is important.

...erm ... just read what I have written and now I think I sound
absolutely barmy - but I WORKS FOR ME.

Liz