Making time for lace, my goodness have I tried over the years to
do that.

We all have our own way of coping with our lives.  Yes I mean coping,
you can just have yourself to think of.  Or you have family that you
have to take care of.  I had not long started making lace, when
suddenly my DH was ill, on a life support machine in Oxford, mother
ill in Newbury hospital,   I found myself having to work nights five days a
week 12
hour shifts, day shifts at the  weekend.  I was driving 110 miles a day
often sleeping in my car as that was the only way I would get any sleep.
Yes I did have embroidery that I would take with me whilst sitting
by my DH  or my mothers bed as at the time I did not do needlelace.
I would sometimes take a day off work to do a  lace workshop,
coming straight off nights, no sleep.  When things got easier
I decided that I needed a holiday, so would go on lace trips making
arrangements for someone to keep an eye on my mother and husband.
Eventually mother died so that made life  a little easier.  Why I
am saying this, we all assume a lot about other
people and what they can do with there time and money.
Can you imagine, we had a mortgage counting two wages, suddenly
there was just one, so I worked all the hours I could.  I can recall
a neighbour making comments as to where I got the money for new
windows, with tongue in cheek I asked if they had seen the red light
that comes on at 7 pm every night, not a word was ever said to me
on that matter again.  Years later this neighbour  said she thought
at the time she made the comment I did not work.

Only once is the last year have I been able to get to a lace event,
due to health problems I have, seems I should not have made that long
journey to Havant on my own, I caused myself more problems.  I am
now the one who has been relying on my husband who is not in the
best of health.

I have not written this because I am sorry for myself, I have been
grateful that over the last few years lace helped me to cope.  Many
lacemakers have been very kind to me, something I will not forget.

Jean