I have had a cleaning woman who came from the former Soviet Union. When she saw and understood what I was doing she told me
that the Vologda School was kept going by Stalin as he saw in it an important resource for the country. He even encouraged the teachers to do more lace.
I hope this information which she gave me is correct.

As to lace in the Czech Republic, my first lace teacher was from Prague, and managed to get out of there in 1964.

Apart from learning to make lace she had to go to an art school and a textile school ( higher education).

Miriam
Arad, Israel