Linda
I can talk about workshops and classes both from the perspective of taking
them, as well as teaching them.

I think of a workshop as a short term intense concentration on some specific
type of bobbin lace.  Homework and preparation are both matters for teachers
as well as students.  Students MUST come to the workshop with bobbins wound
and pattern pricked, or a lot of valuable costly time will be wasted.  A
serious and committed teacher gets very frustrated when students start
winding bobbins in class because the teacher knows that that student will
not learn very much.  But the teacher has an obligation to make sure the
prospective students get copies of the patterns well enough in advance, with
thread information, so that they CAN come to class prepared.  If a class
occurs Saturday and Sunday for 6 hours each day, one cannot expect students
to do homework in between, although many do try to get as far as they can.
When I TAKE    a class, I spend the evenings writing up everything I learned
that day in class, including diagrams explaining each new technique.  I have
learned that if I don't do this, I forget everything a week later.  And I
HATE being such a dummy that I lose all that information I paid for.  So I
make sure I don't.

As to finishing a project -- a teacher has an obligation to aim the class
level at a place where she can reasonably expect students to be.  When I
design a pattern for a workshop or class, I try very hard to put all the new
hard stuff in the first hour and a half of the class.  That way everyone,
even the slower lacemakers, will get to it before the three hour session is
over.  If the students learn all the new stuff in the first hour, then they
can go home and make the rest of the piece on their own at home, without my
help.  I deliberately design the pieces so that this can happen.  I do
expect students who come for a weekly class to do homework in between.  But
I expect this because I also hate to see students wasting their money on a
class they don't learn from.  In my experience new techniques must be
repeated several times just after a student first learns them for the method
to burn into the brain and remain accessible for the future.  I tell my
students that they should spend at least one hour making the lace on the day
immediately after the class, and to be sure not to miss this day.  Or they
will forget, I've seen it happen too many times.  And then during the week
they should finish the 6 inch strip, or the tape bookmark.  Four to six
hours of work should finish the class learning piece.  Then next week, I
teach them something new, so they are always progressing.  I want the
students to be able to dispense with the teacher, to learn how to solve
problems themselves.  Making sure they hear about all the possible solutions
allowed in the type of lace they are learning is the way to do that.

If a student wants to come primarily for social reasons, I would hope that
she would like to work on a simple pattern which is easy for her and make a
completed project, taking as many weeks as she needs to finish it.  With a
simple pattern she can visit and chat and still be making lace, as the more
serious committed students want to do.  But getting together with lace
friends just to make lace together might be a better way to socialize over
lacemaking than taking a class.  Even if it happens only once or twice a
month.  Some individuals will want to do both and may have the time.
Lorelei