Hello Elizabeth - and spiders! I'm still a relative newbie myself, but when I hear the term "floral" applied to a lace (Bucks or Torchon, for example...), I think of designs in which you need to add threads in some areas and throw them out in others. In strictly geometric torchon, the threads work around pins and proceed through from one section to the other in an orderly fashion with a consistent number of bobbins. But in "floral" torchon, the threads which move into a motif may not be sufficient to fill that section, and so more threads have to be added... at the completion of the motif, the threads may need to be thrown out again. My guess is that the term "floral" derived from the presence, in many of these designs, of floral motifs... however, I think that is actual fact, the motifs do not always represent flowers.
I've stuck my neck out here, and will eagerly wait to see if I'm right, or if, as that awful show said, I'm the "weakest link"! (A definite possibility with regards to my grasp of lacemaking technical terms!!) Clay ----- Original Message ----- From: "Elizabeth MacPherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 11:59 AM Subject: [lace] Floral Torchon > Dear Spiders, > What is Floral Torchon? I have not heard this term before. Are there books on this type of lace? Thanks for any help. > Elizabeth MacPherson > > > --------------------------------- > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. > > - > To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: > unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
