Also, what bad things happen when your bobbins are too small or too
large for the thread size?

If too small, you are continually running out of thread because you can't put very many inches of a thick thread on, say, a Honiton or other bobbin that has a small and shallow area for thread.

Also, your half hitches will be more likely to slip off the bobbin if (1) the bobbin is too small, or (2) too light for the thread.

If the bobbin is too heavy, your threads may break. When I started lacemaking I used spangled bobbins that I made myself and put too many beads on - they were far too heavy for the thread, which took only the slightest pressure to break.

Poor tension: In bobbin lace, some of your tension is made and held by the bobbins hanging off the end of the thread. If your bobbin is too lightweight, you will lose that tension. You might notice very little difference in your lace as a result, or you might notice a lot - it depends on how your own working technique and work habits.

I now use many different styles of bobbin, but they all fall into two categories: "regular" size, which I use for heavier threads (say, 40/2 cotton or bigger) and "teeny" size (Binche, honiton, etc) that I use for fine threads - 80/2 or thinner. Anything in between can be used on either size, in my opinion.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)