Thanks for the advice.
I figured out that hanging the bobbins out for the night might help when
they kept getting unhitched even while hanging, so that I couldn't work
with them at all...
I don't have a tree, but I just stuck a bunch of thick pins into the
wall.  Now I have an impressive row of bobbins hanging over my desk ;-)

Weronika