Greetings,

All this talk of bobbins and winding has brought out this method again. For the newbies who haven't seen this, here is a copy of two messages from years back that may be of interest. It is most helpful when winding more than one yard per bobbin. It might come in handy some day.

There's actually two messages, and two methods described. Take your choice.

----------------------------------------------
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:02:37 -0800
From: "Alice Howell" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
Subject: [lace] Wind bobbins with a String

Greetings everyone,

The recent talk about bobbin winders brought up the subject of winding
bobbins with the use of a string when talking to a new lacemaker recently.
I promised I would write it up again and send it. This may help out with
newer lacemakers who cannot yet afford a mechanical winder, or don't
know which one they want. It is also very portable.

Winding Bobbins With a String

Take a string about 1-1/2 yards long and attach each end to something
sturdy. (I like to use the 2 arms of my recliner and pin the string to each one.)
Two sturdy chairs work, or one chair and a table leg, etc. The string
should be fairly taut, but have some give in it. A movable chair or a pin allows
adjustment to be easily made to the tautness of the string.


Start the thread on the bobbin, winding a few times until it is attached.
Holding the bobbin with the head away from you, reach across the string
and tuck the body of the bobbin under the string. Then twist the end of
the bobbin up (to the left), over and again under the string while holding on
to the head.

You should end up with a loop of the string going around the middle of the
bobbin, the tail pointed at you, and the head away from you. This method
will work with either midlands or continental bobbins because the tail of
the bobbin hangs loose. Realize the midlands, with spangles, may feel a
bit wierd as you proceed, but can easily be done. I like the string to be
about 1/3 of the way from the threaded section to the tail of the bobbin.
The design of the bobbin may determine where the string lies best.

Hold the bobbin with your right hand by putting two fingers on each side of
the string and bending your fingers under the bobbin--sort of a cradle.

Your left hand will hold the winding thread parallel with the string. I like to
have a yard or so of thread unwound from the spool so it can flow freely.
By unwinding the thread a yard at a time, I can keep count how much
thread is going on the bobbin.

With your right hand cupped loosely under the bobbin, push the bobbin
to the left across the string. The loop around the bobbin will make the bobbin
spin, and the thread will wind around the bobbin. Be aware that the thread
may not wind up in very neat, precise rows, but with practice you can
control it to some extent. Thread will have fewer problems unwinding if it is not neatly wound. (Believe it or not.)


When you reach the left side of the string, put your right thumb on the bobbin
and hold it firmly in the right hand. Pull the bobbin back to the right side of
the string without letting it turn. The string will slide around the bobbin.

When back to the right side, release your thumb and again hold the bobbin
loosely with your fingers, and push it back across the string. (I guess
that I take about 10 seconds a yard, and do about 3 passes across the string
per yard.)

When the bobbin has enough thread on it, remove from the string and tie
your half hitch.

The second bobbin of a pair may be a bit trickier. You have to unwind the
total amount of thread needed, and start from the cut end. If you are needing
only 1-2-3 yards, it is not much of a problem. If you need many yards, you
need to develop a system of laying out the unwound yards in a manner that
will allow the thread to wind freely without tangling. (I have wound up to
14 yards successfully.)

A bit of caution on midlands bobbins. The bobbins that have a spiral design
along the body of the bobbin may be more difficult to wind. The winding
string tends to catch in the spiral, and travel to the tail end. The string has
to be repositioned frequently. Also I have found a few bobbins that have
such a smooth, slick finish that the string can't get traction on them.  Glass
bobbins also are slick to wind. However, 95 percent of my midlands can
be wound easily in this manner. Continentals are very easy.

If the string breaks, use another piece--very inexpensive to replace.

I hope this may be of help to some of you. I have yet to buy a machanical
winder because the string process has worked so well for me. Please write
directly if this discription is not clear on any point. I will be happy to
respond.

Happy lacing, everyone!

Alice in Oregon -- where winter is coming in very wet and cool.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: "Marni Harang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
Subject: [lace] winding bobbins on a string


I too use the string method to wind my bobbins, however I don't tie both
ends of the string. I secure one end to a convenient knob, handle, my lace
cushion whatever.

I hold the end of the winding string and the thread being wound on in my
left hand.

The thread is wrapped on the bobbin a few times to secure it. The winding
string is then wrapped once around the bobbin in the same direction as the
thread being wound onto the bobbin. (this means that you can as easily wind
z twist as s twist threads.) The tail of the winding string is held between
the thumb and index finger of the left hand with the palm up. The thread
being wound onto the bobbin is also held in this manner with the rest of the
fingers of the left hand providing additional pressure on the threads as
needed to maintain tension. The right hand is held palm down with the
winding thread between the first(index) and second(middle) finger and the
fingers loosely cupping the bobbin.

If the tension is right, the winding string itself will support the bobbin
and all the right hand does is gently push/roll the bobbin down the winding
thread. At the bottom, the right hand grasps the bobbin and slides in back
up the winding string, thus preventing the wound thread from unwinding. The
bobbin is then stroked down the winding string again and as many time as
needed to wind sufficient thread.

It takes practice and coordination to get the stroking method smooth and the
tension on the winding string and thread balanced and right, but once you
have it down you can wind all sorts of bobbins- even midlands and honitons.

I use a piece of nylon monofiliment line on my work light with a knot at 12".
This means that as I wind my bobbins, I can, if I choose, actually count
the number of down(winding) strokes and have a good idea of exactly how much
thread I am putting on the bobbin. Useful if you are trying to make a
certain thread or color of thread stretch to finish a piece.

Plus I'm never more that a string away from being able to rewind bobbins if
they need adjustment while I'm working.
Marni J. Harang,Acton,25 miles NW of Boston MA.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon -- where it was a nicer day than forecast.

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to