Hello Weronika!

This question comes up from time to time.  When you're first
starting to make lace, you have these visions of yards and
yards of lace for which you have no use.  In actual
practice, you end up making lots of "practice" pieces which
go into your scrapbook.  Eventually, you start making
"keepers".

In my own experience, shortly after beginning to make lace,
I learned that I would be a grandmother - twice in one
month!!  (Both my son and my daughter became parents that
year, and the children were born 29 days apart!)  So I made
four yards of tiny bucks edging with which I trimmed the
Christening gowns I made them.  The babies were both boys,
so didn't need loads and loads of lace - just around the
neck and on the cuffs. That project took nine months
(really - I started when the girls were three months along,
and finished when the babies were three months old - in time
for their Christenings!!)  Then there was the Bucks
handkerchief edging I made for a niece for her wedding.
That was on my pillow for about a year.  I made a few
Milanese motifs, which have found their way into frames in
my office/lace studio.  I have a Tonder continuous lace on a
roller pillow which has been there for several years.  I
work it off and on when the mood strikes, and have no idea
what I'll do with it when I'm "finished"...  since it's
continuous, who knows when that will be??

Now, as my lacemaking is becoming more technically
challenging, I am making less of it, even though I spend
just as much time doing lace!  I started a Binche
handkerchief edging last June and finished right after
Christmas.  That now resides in my Binche portfolio which I
hope to have critiqued next year at a workshop.  (Sigh... I
was looking forward to the workshop with Michael Giusiana
this summer, but all of his workshops were cancelled... I'm
really hoping for next year!)  I did a quick study piece,
which is also in the notebook, and am now working on a mat
edging.

So in truth, there just isn't a lot of lace lying around my
house!  After gifts and study pieces, there just isn't much
to "do" anything with!!  People don't understand why on
earth I would spend so much time making something that I'm
not going to use.  I think the reality is that I'm in
pursuit of the skill, not the material product.  For me,
it's the journey, not the destination.

Clay

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Weronika Patena" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 7:58 PM
Subject: [lace] what to do with lace?


> Hello everyone!
>
> Yet another question.
>
> I really like making lace, and at the moment I'm just
putting it all in
> a scrapbook, but I know at some point I'll want to make
whole pieces
> that I can use for something...  And what can I use them
for?  What do
> you do with your lace?
>
> Weronika
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to