Hello!

> Now that's a confusing list for a non-native speaker...
> What's corsage, a door finger plate, a UFO candle holder, a coaster, an
> alice band, and a mobile?

I can help with a few of these but a couple stump me as well and this is my
native language!  :-)

A corsage would be an ornament pinned onto a lady's chest or strapped onto a
wrist.  Usually a flower like an orchid and most often found at graduations
and weddings.

A coaster goes under a drinking glass to protect the table from the moisture
on the bottom of the glass.  Here I assume you would insert the lace into a
clear plastic holder.

An Alice Band is a band that holds a girl's hair back off her face, often
elastic it wraps around the head from the forehead to the base of your neck.
If you have seen an illustration of Alice in Wonderland that is where the
name comes from (a very British term).

I know what a mobile is but I am at a loss of how to describe it except that
you see them over baby's cribs dangling objects over their heads.  Wind
chimes are also a form of mobile.

I hope this helps a little Weronika, I think your grasp of English is
excellent, far better than my grasp of French which is one of our official
languages.

Janet
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to