Good morning All,
If you are in the market to buy a needle pin can I share with you my experience. When I started Honiton lace, many moons ago, I bought a simple, Springetts, wooden job. Very nice. Found it almost impossible to use. Like Leonard I tried a few times until I'd thoroughly mashed up the pinhole and the thread and then resorted to a hook. Some time later I treated myself to a lovely bone handled model. Got to be better, Yes? No. After years of struggling and mixed results I went back to my wooden model and found no problems. I found that the bone one had a thick, about a quarter inch base where the pin was inserted and this stopped me getting at the right angle to the sewing. The Wooden one tapered into the pin, so that the handle was almost an extension of the pin. Something to look out for when you do buy. It can be used for other fine laces as well. Duchesse and Milanese come to mind.
Jean in Cleveland U.K.