I *think* previous discussions have been on lace and not chat.  I say this 
because I don't want to be screamed at if I am wrong.

I have just been reading, nostalgically, "The Abbey girls" by Elsie Jeannette 
Oxenham.  For those of you who don't know there is a whole series of "Abbey" 
books covering many years of the heroines' lives.  The abbey in question is a 
ruined abbey and the girls attend a day school which has a club called The 
Hamlet Club.  Its chief interests are rambling and English folk dancing.  Later 
books introduce the Woodcraft Folk (which has just started up in my little 
town).  The folk dancing means they celebrate May Day, electing a queen to reign 
for the next twelve months.  One of the chief characters is about to elected 
May Queen and her cousin wants to give her a present to celebrate the event.  
Both girls are fifteen, living in Buckinghamshire  and the book was originally 
published in 1920.

"What can I give her..........I *know*!" she cried in delight.  "I'll go to 
that old woman who makes lace, and get a little collar of a real Bucks pattern. 
 Joy loves them, but she's never been able to afford one.  But they aren't 
very dear, and I've more money than she has.  I don't spend mine on apples and 
lemonade, as she does when she is out walking."  

Both girls are very poor with nothing for extras so very little to them has 
to be a very low price.  I assume the author was writing from experience in 
respect of the lace.

Patricia in Wales
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to