Yes, Liz, Booksellers in Australia are bound by law to buy from England
for some publishers, and from the US for others (haven't got the list of
which is which) . This is an arrangement made by the publishers, mostly to
ensure that no-one "poaches" on their preserves (shades of colonialism!!.
 Heavy fines are incurred if the rule is broken, and it also applies to
libraries. For instance, we are not allowed to buy the American copy of
the V&A book if someone offers it to us, because Australia is part of
England's hunting grounds!! This means that sometimes, bestsellers are
published by the "wrong" country first, and we have to wait until the
other country decides to publish before we can buy for our customers!I'm
afraid it is part of the US protectionist policy, and I think it stinks,
but so far, the publishers are still quite happy with it and don't want to
change it. Individuals can do what they please, thank heaven, but only if
they order direct from the country publishing. They are not allowed to
order through a bookseller.
Good luck with your order...I hope you'll bring it to the lace meeting to
gloat over us when you receive it :-)

Helene, the froggy from Melbourne

Liz Ligeti wrote:
>I have ordered "Lace from the V & A Museum" from Amazon in the US.  DH
has
>offered to buy it for my birthday.  Instead of the(Aussie) $110 for it
>through the local bookseller, I can get it posted to me for $62 (approx -

>on yesterday's currency exchange).  I think the bookseller here gets
their
>books from the UK, and our $ is so depressed against the �.  I like to
buy
>locally, but the difference is just too much, this time.


Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
http://au.movies.yahoo.com

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to