That isn't how I read the posts on this subject at all.  What they do all
seem to be saying is that it is possible for two people to independently
come up with very similar ideas.!

My teaching notes are dated when I do them, ie when I need handouts for a
class.  This doesn't necessarily mean that the design or technique they
refer to is brand new to me, just that it's the first time I want to run a a
workshop
on them and turn them into the public arena.  Often the ideas and prototypes
have been "work in progress" for a long time.  The same could apply to
Rosemary's notes dated late 80's.  It is no evidence that she was influenced
by Novak.

As my copy of the book has not arrived yet, I am unable to compare the
prickings with the ones designed by Jana Novak, and I am unclear from your
comment " I had a look at Rosemary's web site and her new book" whether you
have
actually seen the book, or just the write up and pictures.

"What I really find fascinating is that no one has taken the time to compare
the two books and make a constructive comment"  As it is a new book not many
of us will have had the opportunity to make this comparison yet but even if
I
had been able to, probably the only comments I could make are on the lines
of "Yes, there are notable similarities" or "No, I think the similarities
are
minor".   Either way, it would be fairly subjective and would throw no
further light on the influences, conscious or subconscious, behind
Rosemary's design
ideas.

"I do not make any accusations, I simply state a fact."  Unfortunately, to
me at least, it did sound accusing.  Unless you know for sure that Rosemary
was
aware of and influenced by Novak's work then what you are implying is not
stating a fact.  The only fact is that there are similarities, your post
seemed to take it much further.

Jacquie


"If Rosemary made her first flowers in the late 70s then this predates
the Novak ones by a considerable margin.  But no-one would think that
plagiarism has taken place the other way round, would they!<<<"

Dear All,

I am overwhelmed by the response my two emails caused. Someone is talking
about reversed plagiarism. And some else that this dirty business should be
put to sleep.

The second statement speaks for its self.   Now to the issue of plagiarism -
Lets look at Jana Novak's track record - she comes from Moravia, being part
of Czech Republic where modern lace design is part of curiculum at the
college she attended and trained as Graphic Artist. Further in Czech
Republic lace
and lace design is being taught at some art colleges and Charles IV
University by no other than
Milca Eremiasova and other prominent lacemakers/teachers/designers.
Since late fifties until communism ended there were co-operatives where
artistic lace design and lace making was of the prime importance. Many
people in the world admired the lace that came out of Czechoslovakia as the
country was known than, now Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. They admired
the artistic style and the different and unique approach.

When I attended Rosemary's workshop she talked about the influences and her
admiration towards these designers and lacemakers and their artistic
attributes to the world of lace.
She also admired the works by Jana Novak, she made no secret of that.
I subscribe to the Danish magazine The Knipplebrevet where I can see the big
influence Jana has on
people's designs in Denmark . Since she's lived in Denmark she published
many books with her own designs on many different subjects using many
different techniques. The book with title "Fri Knipling" was one of her
first publicashions and is
now out of print - sadly. The Kantklosse in Vrije Vorm is a different
publication -
I have to take a punt at the translation but would translate it as Bobbin
lace in Free form. She also published books which are works from many
different
designers. Designing and publishing books is her primary business as well as
providing lacemakers with the necessary lacemaking supplies. She is a
professional artist and designer.
I don't know if Jana knew of Rosemary but I do know that Rosemary knows of
Jana.
The only book Rosemary previously published was "An
Introducction to Bobbin Lacemaking" where the content is primarily Torchon.
I have not seen any other book Rosemary published  in the late seventies on
"Fantasy Flowers". How could Jana plagiarise Rosemary's flowers if she never
seen them? Jana lives in Denmark and Rosemary lives in Australia.

Whilst Torchon patterns are easily reproduced independently it is a
different story in a free form design.
Every artist has his/her own artistic approach and is recognisable by their
style. In the class of design I attended no two people designed the same
piece. We are all unique human beings. Copyright does not protect the
designers unless they can enforce the copyright through courts, and who has
the money to do that? So it is up to us to do the right thing and abide by
the copyright law. I am not saying that one cannot adapt original designers
patterns, what I am saying is that the original designers should be
recognised. The adaptations must be substantially changed, by that I mean
the actual design is changed, not how the lace is worked, whether you choose
to use more pairs or less, work half stitch instead of cloth stitch, go
around the pattern more than once etc. In regard to dating teaching notes,
in Australia we date our notes when we first produce them. If we amend the
notes we include this date etc., so you may have two or three dates on the
notes. Some teachers instead of amendment date include the date of their
next workshop.
I find the dismissive aproach to this issue quite unsettling. This issue is
a very serious issue and should be looked at in the same light. If I was in
Rosemary's shoes I would remove the flowers in question and publish only my
original designs.

Karolina Jeffers
Thee times Proficiency qualified teacher

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to