For those of you who asked here are the photos of the book which I made for
the Lace Guild's  "Myth or
Mystery" competition. http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003-date

To answer some of the other questions: It was entered in the miniatures
class - the
requirement for that being "a miniature sculpture, small purse or other
three-dimensional lace item using an original design" It had to fit into a
10cm or 4 inch cube.

I took the theme of 'Ring a Ring o' Roses' (English version) because I
wanted to make a book,
and it had to be short, because I was unlikely to complete it otherwise. The
Lace Guild had considered nursery rhymes to be part of the theme, so that
was useful. Roses meant that I could work in roseground, which I love
making. The shape of each page of the book is that of a petal.

The front cover of the book has the title with a rose. The cover of the book
has roseground in green silk, with a lace rose on the front. Inside the
middle of the book, is  a
succession of roseground samplers shading from pale pink to black (to go
with the plague idea) - and giving the stitch instructions. On the top of
the book is the nursery rhyme itself, and underneath is the usual
explanation of the nursery rhyme. You can turn the pages as you would a
normal book, or you can open it into a circle and read the top and bottom.

For those of you who have asked, I won't be publishing the patterns - the
lace is quite straightforward, it was the construction and printing of the
book which was complicated.

I have also added the photos of my other entry to the competition "Wood
Nymph", which will not be displayed on account of the space issues at the
gallery. (I went from elation to depression, as I opened first one envelope
from the Lace Guild and then later the other from Coventry council). It is
also three dimensional - worked over the face of a polystyrene wig holder -
and never to be done again, it was awful to work. It is full size, human
face coming out of a tree - all worked in a variety of green and brown
threads.

Sue
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to