Tamara has done a wonderful job of collating and thinking about this
project.

> that Jacquie has given us (190cm total for Length+ Width+ Depth
> *packing* size. Say, 180cm, at most, for the *project*).
>
> OK. The man leaving St Ives with all the "baggage" (wives, sacks,
> kittens, what have you) seems to be a clear winner since it offers the

I agree - It will make such a fun and diverse project


> Jo has "married" that idea with the 7-continents one: each wife would
> come from a different one (with appropriate costume),

> 1) Size and Shape
> Seven panels, each 70cm square, each in a 3.5cm deep frame.
> packing purposes, if we stack them, we have: 3.5x7=24.5 cm (say 25). 25
> + 140 = 165. Should leave plenty of room for packing materials.

The panels could be 'framed' and bound as a book, using matt or mounting
board as the frame for each page. See
http://www.popularkinetics.com/Class_Page.htm for book structures. I
personally favour the carousel style, and maybe we could mount some
traditional laces between the St Ives pages on smaller decorative pages.
This would include those who like to work traditional grounds rather than
working figures or cats etc.

Incidentally there is no reason why this should just be bobbin lace, we
could include needlelace,  tatting, crocheted, knitted and so on.

This would then keep all the panels within the overall dimensions of the
current totals. I am not sure that Tamara's interpretation of packing size
is the relevant one for entry tot he competition. Unfortunately I now longer
have my copy of the rules & regs to hand.

Bags and cats etc could overflow and be part of the decoration of the page
borders

Don't forget the sign to St Ives! Perhaps the man and his sign could go on
the front cover and the text of the rhyme could be inside the front cover.
Perhaps on the back cover, we could have a lace representation of St Ives -
a very pretty Cornish village

Inside the back cover we could list all contributors to the project, from
design ideas, to drawings, to lace, to construction etc

By the way, I think the rhyme only has 7 wives not fourteen. ( As I was
going to St Ives, I met a man with 7 wives...)

This is going to be  a  great group project
Sue Babbs

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to