On Jun 6, 2004, at 13:01, Alice Howell wrote:

Seven panels, each 70cm square, each in a 3.5cm deep frame.

I tried to convert the CM figures above to inches, and came up with 28 inches square. That's huge. Is this really the size suggested? Or is there a typo in there somewhere?

Math ain't my strong point, so if there's a mistake, it's probaly *there*, not in typing :)


My calculations came from Jacquie Tinch's original message:
From this time, at least, the size restrictions were maximum 100cm (or 40" -
so if you've got size problems, work in inches <VBG>) in any one direction but
with a total of height + width + length not more than 190 cm (75"). But that
is in it's packaging so in fact, for example, if you want to do a long rigid
flat piece it needs to be less than 100cm. A larger piece could be achieved
if it can be folded or taken to bits and fitted into the above size.

Given that the width/depth would be minimal (especially if we didn't use frames -- which, indeed, would be heavy), that leaves a lot of room for flat panels. Which we might need, if one of them is to be the whole world (with the ships?)...


Hold on a moment! Think carefully. I've been known to do many strange projects in my day, but I learned a few things from them. Don't make it too complicated or it will get bogged down and not get done.

I'm leaving (for Poland first, and then on to Prague) in two weeks, and I wanted a *serious* discussion going at a simmer before I left. And before other people started leaving for *their* summers, and Arachne went into its summer-slump... Before you can turn the heat down to simmer, you need a full boil; it seemed to me that the best way would be to throw in some bones to be picked over :)


And I've succeeded; new - and better, more focused on practicalities - ideas are coming in faster now (including yours <g>) So, the chances are better, that we'll be able to hammer out a rough draft of something sensible and acceptable to most before the summer. If only an idea, and not yet a sketch.

There is a pattern already available of a world map. I've seen it somewhere. The name of Arachne could be incorporated. [...]
If we do this, perhaps we should start looking for cat patterns?

I'm not sure about looking for pre-existing patterns and making a collage... I thought this is supposed to be an original project?


But that was one of the reasons why I thought we needed to get *seriously* started as soon as possible; by the time we've agreed on the theme... by the time Lynn (who, BTW, is *not* in Tennessee, but in West-by-God-Virginia; apologies, Lynn <g>) and/or others have drawn the sketches, and the sketches have been agreed on... by the time the sketches have been "translated" into lace for those who need such (ie novices, with fewer designing skills) and the "translations" distributed to all those who want them...

If you factor in the number of people who are likely to be involved in the project, and the cyclical slumps of Arachne (summer and Christmas)... We'll be lucky if we can start making the lace by January. And then you need to leave a good margin for assemblage. So, 3 yrs may sound like a lot of time, but it isn't really.

Of course, using pre-existing patterns *is* permissible, it might cut down on time (but, at the same time, possibly, cutting off some participation avenues? For people whose skills are in the drawing and/or design areas?)...

I think, first and foremost, we need to get a-hold of the *rules* for the next competition... Jacquie Tinch? You seem to be "our man in Havana"... :)

As for "the name of Arachne could be incorporated"... I don't think so; that would really let the cat out of the bag... Er... *sack*, of course, *sack*... :)

---
Tamara P Duvall             http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)
              Healthy US through The No-CARB Diet:
    no C-heney, no A-shcroft, no R-umsfeld, no B-ush.

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to