Devon
The question of tape laces from the 17th and 18th centuries is very
complicated, extremely complicated.  Firstly, from about 1650 to at least
1750 and perhaps into the 19th century, both Flanders and Milan produced
laces which are nearly indistinguishable in technique, types of design and
so forth.  Santina Levey does claim that Flemish laces are more likely to
carry the braids across the back of the clothwork parts.  And she says this
is true whether the ground was worked as a Val mesh ground with many
bobbins, or whether it was worked as a single zigzag braid going where it
needed to to connect the various parts together.  See her plate 214 A and B.
Her plates 200 to 214 cover this period.

What I have seen at the Art Institute of Chicago led to me utter confusion
at first regarding the history of tape laces.  (Remember that Santina Levey
work WITH the Art Institute's staff to identify their lace collection.  And
the laces I saw had her labels on them.  If she is dead wrong then all the
museum's ID's are dead wrong, too.  I think this unlikely, but possible.)

I saw laces identified as either Flemish or Milanese tape lace, and a few
from Hungary, which I could not distinguish in any way on the basis of
style, motifs or working method.  I saw laces with a constant width tape
(using only a set number of bobbins and not adding anything) identified as
Flemish and some as Milanese.  I saw laces with variable width tape where
bobbins had to be constantly hung in and cut out as the tape meandered and
made flower and leaf shapes that required thinner and thicker tapes.  I saw
pieces that looked like very primitive constant width peasant tape laces
which, in fact, were made of discrete motifs that started and ended and
required the whole collection of bobbins to be cut off every 6 inches, with
complicated thread paths and not simple tapes.  I saw crude meandering
designs with no grace from either place.  I saw graceful and charming
animals and plants in tapes labeled "peasant".  Many tapes had a single two
pair braid meandering and holding the motifs together.  Many had a
Valenciennes type ground worked with a whole lot of bobbins hung in after
the motifs were finished. (You could see how the direction of working
changed to conform to the spaces they needed to fill--a sure clue that these
weren't straight or continuous laces.)

Many of the Milanese tape laces were wide -- about 18 inches or more -- with
a large cross or other religious symbol worked in.  These must have been
intended as altar frontals.  During the last half of the 1600s some Flemish
tape laces were worked in very fine thread, finer than the Milanese tended
to be.  In these I saw the first experiments in raised work, appearing just
before 1700, about 1690-1700.  They would have little bits of narrow tape
with pinholes only on one side, and the tape would cross over itself
(tenstick or rib).

What I had expected to see was simple constant width tapes being the early
ones, and the complex tapes being the more recent.  But what I found was
mostly, but nor always, the reverse.  The large scale ecclesiastical laces
may have been the later Milanese laces, bypassed by the development of
Brussels in Flanders, and relegated to conservative and out-of-fashion
church use.

It appears that the Flemish and Milanese tape laces of 1650-1700 were the
precursor to 18th Century Brussels lace (probably the pinnacle of free/part
lace design, technique and complexity for all history).

But as to specifically Russian wedding aprons of the 17th century -- I
haven't a clue.  What about Davidoff?  Might there be some photos in there
that might help?  I also have Yefimove and Belogorskaya RUSSIAN EMBROIDERY
AND LACE 1982.  ISBN0-500-01358-6.  The 17th century bobbin lace in that
book is gold and silver bullion lace, some tape, some a mesh grounded
straight lace.  The true tape laces only appear with 18th century labels
(18th century = 1700-1800).  I don't know if the photos reflect actual types
of lace common in those times, or just an accident of preservation.  Older
linen laces would deteriorate.
Lorelei

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to