Just as a follow on to my previous reference to machine made lace.

At a lace day many years ago, the speaker was the lace and textiles lady at
Philip's auction house.  A friend of mine had an exquisite handmade collar
which she had recently bought in an antique shop.  She asked for a valuation,
and
was relieved to get a figure in the same region as she had paid.

This was followed by a pause, and then she was told that if it had been a
bolder design, then it would sell for a lot more at auction because it would
be
of interest to buyers purchasing for stage and film use and it would make NO
difference to its value if it was hand or machine lace.

I have an ever growing collection of machine made lace, and it is interesting
to follow its development in tandem with the changes in fashion and
technology and with the changes in hand made lace.
Jacquie