Hello Annette,
I think you are asking for the *german way* of lacemaking: hanging bobbins and holding them in the palm of your hands. So I try to give an answer from here. I am used to work on flat and on bolster pillows.

Annette Gill schrieb:

I'm thinking of trying to work hands-up, either by making a pillow from a pool noodle, or buying a bolster pillow from the Honiton Lace shop. (I may be visiting Honiton in a couple of weeks). 'But I'm still a bit confused as to how you actually do this. I'm vaguely aware that if you work this way you make some of the stitches differently. For example, do you do half stitch as TC, instead of CT? How would you do other stitches like cloth, cloth stitch and twist, point gound, and so on?

First of all, it is not necessary to change from CT to TC. It is absolutely possible to work the same way you are used to. Linen stitch is linen stitch wherever you make it. We do not really know where the differences in handling come from. There is only one logical thing: when you work hanging bobbins you have to hang the inactive bobbins over pins and when you work CT, the last thing you do when you hang them on, is a twist. But when you go on working and take them from the pin, you willhave to untwist them to see if there is a twist or is none. So it doesn't make sense to hang them twisted, because you undo the twist. It saves time to work TC but in the beginning you better work what you are used to.

Do you hold all four bobbins you're working with in your hands as you do the stitch?

Yes, we do, because we do not move them on the pillow but in our hands. You cross and twist them in your hands and let them hang down (or over longer pins) when the stitch is finished.
An additional hint: have a look for the height of your pillow. You should not lift your shoulders while working.
If I can tell you anything else, you are welcome to ask.

Gabriele from Chemnitz, Germany
<http://www.kloeppelkiste.de>