Can you explain what you mean by pine needles. I know them as the short (about half inch long) round green leaves which are each side of the central stem (rather like the hairs on a feather), and form a brown acidic carpet when they fall from the trees. Your baskets are clearly not made from those - I'd like to see anyone who could.

Jean in Poole

Dear Jean,

Evergreens are a very shifty lot. The species with short furry needles are generally fir trees (oddly enough!) In the U.S. there are many different pine trees, some with individual needles from 6 to 12 inches long. It is entirely possible to coil baskets from them. Sort of the same difference in "fiber" as cotton and linen. Extra long cotton is about 4 inches long. Extra long flax can be 36 inches.

Patty Dowden