Hi everyone I hope the person who first asked about digi-camera info isn't too confused! I suggest buy a modestly-priced one and learn from it (keep in mind it's not just a camera, it is computer hardware - and you might need cables, photo-memory thingies, batteries perhaps, and software). My favourite camera store sells both digital and mechanical, and gave me good advice when I bought my digital camera.
For a *lace* tool, the decision to buy a digital camera was a good one. I use it more than I would have thought, the main factor being the immediate results. I use it to examine a piece of antique lace, where the screen resolution is easier for me to see than a magnifying glass. I can then print a picture (in black and white to save ink) and draw on it, or snail mail it to someone. I use the digital camera to record how I am making a piece of lace - easier to snap a pic with the digital camera than to try to take a scan of the lace-on-pillow-in-progress (it can be done, with a lot of pinning, or, as someone I know did, getting a helper to flip the scanner over - which I don't think I'd recommend), and faster than waiting to get a film developed. I use the camera a lot at lace places - meetings, exhibits and it is fun to share the pictures by e-mail soon after. For printing - I bought a new lace toy/tool - a photoprinter. It is even cheaper than the digital camera I bought. At first I thought the cost of the inks would outweigh the benefits - but I'm really pleased with it, too and because we can be selective in what we print, it is quite economical. Saves me a lot of time and bother in waiting for films to be developed, not to mention the scads of dud photos and their negatives - can't part with them for some reason (???). (I do have a roll of film in the SLR though - sometimes it is just 'better" to take a photo where I can control the settings, the particular lens, etc.). I think of the digital camera and printer as the darkroom back with the photographer - the way it was when photography was first popular, but without the chemical mess. Ok, I wasn't around in the early days of photography, LOL - it was a requisite to do darkroom work when I was a wee science student. bye for now Bev in Sooke BC (on a clear day on the west coast of Canada) Cdn. floral bobbins www.woodhavenbobbins.com - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
