From the picture, it looks like embroidery to me - I can't see any detached buttonhole stitch.. I guess you have to see it in person. It is a beautiful piece though.

On Tuesday, November 16, 2004, at 10:20  AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The other day I saw a textile at the MMA which looks just like
needlelace, being made of detached buttonhole stitch, but dates from the Yuan
dynasty(1279-1368). I know that looping stiches have been made in the past. I have
even seen some looped net bags in the American Southwest, but this piece so
resembles Italian Needlelace, especially in its diamond shaped geometrical
patterns that it is really quite stunning.
Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada