Hello Jen and all
 there is no such thing as a dumb question! If you
don't ask, how are you going to learn!

Cannot help with the wire, and not much on the thread
one, but: at an OIDFA meeting in Sweden, we had, let's
call it a lively discussion, with a representative of
a linen thread manufacturer. His point was, they did
not make very fine thread because noone bought it,
and, of course, our position was, we don't buy it if
it is not available.  Chicken and the egg!

Greetings from freezing Spain, Eva