Hi everyone, and the reticent lace-list member who asked <vbg>

> Here goes. Why isn't thread manufactured today that is as fine as those
> available in the early lace-making days.

Supply and demand ;)
As someone pointed out, growing flax for fineness isn't viable any more
(not sure about the 'extinctness' - I think it is growth tech., rather
than the species that determines the fineness) but also if we, the
market, were clamouring for fine threads, there would be some - and by
clamouring, it would have to be  mega-bucks' worth.

Mettler makes a synthetic fine thread, a 100/2 size, which I've seen in a
needleworks suppy shop, and have been tempted to buy, to try for Honiton -
it comes in colours, but is pricey if I would want a lot of colours - I
should really try it, even though the synthetic aspect put me off. It is
called Metrosene, and designed for strength & sheen, for use in sewing
fine fabrics.
Has anybody tried this thread?

 -- bye for now
Bev in Sooke, BC (on a sunny, calm, November day - between storms, one
supposes - west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins
www.woodhavenbobbins.com

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to