Annette wrote

Me too.  Last year, while writing a Christmas card to my neighbours, I 
did
stop to wonder why an atheist was sending a Christmas card to a Muslim
family!

When I was a Catholic, a long, long time ago, I used to think that
non-Christians who celebrated Christmas were trying to have their cake 
and
eat it.  Then I realised that there's been a mid-winter festival here 
long
before the Christians co-opted it for Christmas, so I have a perfect 
right
to celebrate that :)  At least it gives me an excuse to make lace
Christmas decorations.

I was amused last week when some of the big shops along Oxford St in
London said they wouldn't be having a Father Christmas this year, 
because
it might offend people of other faiths.  And yet they seem happy enough 
to
profit from and promote the orgy of Christmas present-buying that's 
going
on now!

I don't have a DH, so I have to write all my Christmas cards myself...

Regards,
Annette, London

And I say

I'm not quite sure how Father Christmas can offend people from other 
faiths when he is not exactly a religious symbol himself.

I too am an Atheist and I celebrate Christmas as the winter solstice 
festival that was hijacked when Christianity came to this country. And 
if people are not prepared to respect the main religion of the country 
they are living in maybe they should rethink where they live. (That is 
not intended as racist by the way).

Claire

Kent, UK

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to