On 17 Nov 2004, at 19:47, Alice Howell wrote:
In my reading and study of lace history, the commercial viability of very fine linen thread was lost in 1790 when the cotton gin was developed, making cotton thread commercially viable and much cheaper to produce than the linen. The linen supplies that were already in the warehouses were used up by 1830. After that, the only extremely fine threads available were silk, and later, manmade fibers.

Hi Alice,
While the development of the cotton gin undoubtabley enabled fine cottons to be spun it didn't kill out fine linens quite as immediately as you say. I bought Fine linen DMC threads (150, 200, 300) in the 1960's. Likewise I have fine linen hanks from Harris of Cockermouth which date probably from the 1930's, and Knox's linen was produced until the 1960's I think and I have 150/2, 300/2 reels from them.
Jean in Cleveland U.K.

- To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]