In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tamara
P. Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Dec 9, 2004, at 13:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I have been storing pillows in the square plastic bags that sheets 
>> sets come in.  

>More than half of our cookie pillows (the likely candidates for storage 
>in either plastic wreath boxes or zippered sheet-set plastic bags) are 
>likely to be *plastic* filled, no? 

>Enjoy the day, but don't lose touch with reality

I think that is the crunch of the matter with most of us - we tend to
get, in a way, 'politically correct' over just about everything, and
forget the reality. Especially on City and Guilds courses where the
mantra is 'never throw anything away' (especially with the Preparing
Working Designs side of the course, but then, that had its uses, when
going on to do another subject, having some of the design work already
prepared...).

However, I suspect that Elaine's reasons for storage are slightly
different to the rest of us - she spends half the year in one country,
half in another - so for six months the pillows, and whatever happens to
be on them, need to be protected from whatever risks they face when she
is not there to 'supervise'. The bags are probably the easiest option,
if not perfect - and the zip will allow some air to circulate (I've
never seen a vacuum zip yet!). I would possibly be inclined to take the
pillows out of the bags to air occasionally, but realistically, unless
the pillow is about to be used, I would more likely forget to! I suspect
that Elaine's pillows are possibly straw? These do need looking after,
as a good straw pillow will more than likely outlive us. 

The working life of a polystyrene pillow is only likely to be about 2-3
years, unless it is well covered with carpet felt etc, so the
conservation point of view, where this type of pillow is concerned, is
somewhat irrelevant. 

There are some pieces of my lace which I hope will be around, like my
great-great-grandmother's sampler, to show future generations what I did
- but I cannot control what my daughters do with them once I am gone -
and there is no guarantee that if they were given to a museum that a)
that institution would survive; b) they would ever see the light of day
again or c) they would not be sold/passed on to a less caring buyer.
Added to which, that which is important to me, is not necessarily so to
everyone else! The best we can do with any of our lace or equipment is
to protect it to the best of our ability while we are around to do so,
in context to its working life, but not go over the top where items of
lesser life expectancy (eg bent pins, polystyrene pillows, etc) are
concerned.
-- 
Jane Partridge

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to