In a message dated 3/17/05 8:39:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The needs of younger people and the needs of
> older people are somewhat in conflict. Pity the poor organizers of
> conventions.
> Devon

So true, Devon.  To be honest, OIDFA Prague was not perfect or comfortable or
scaled to women and their needs.  It was an agricultural college campus.  We
were all just so happy to support lacemakers in Eastern Europe, that we
adjusted.  Comments may have gone to the officers of OIDFA, but there was no
need to
stab the pride of our hostesses and their city by publicly complaining.

I have attended many conventions/seminars/congresses (whatever they want to
call them), and it is apparent the sponsors have considered the unique needs of
people who are likely to attend.  They have found a middle ground formula
that works for most, but will always be lacking some details that a few vocal
individuals would like.

Rather than enumerate problems - let me share (once again - it is my annual
response to public complaints) what happened to a very fine organization called
"National Standards Council of American Embroiderers".  Membership was made
up of very serious professional stitchers - university instructors, authors,
artists, certified embroidery teachers who taught at the Embroiderers' Guild
and
American Needlepoint Guild seminars, and those who were elevating embroidery
to an intellectual level.

Lots of complaints.  Then, no one wanted to volunteer to organize a
convention or serve as officers.  The whole NSCAE organization folded quickly,
once
members did not have a place to gather once a year.  The magazine they
published
did not contain enough "glue" to hold them together.

Sponsoring groups and vendors stand to suffer financially when there is a lot
of pre-convention complaining.  It is a huge juggling act; an all-consuming
job that interrupts normal life.

I would like to suggest that we thank our lucky stars there are volunteers
willing to make a huge effort to provide us with so many wonderful options at
lace conventions.  It is the many things they do right that we should remember
and look forward to from year-to-year.

May I propose a new subject?  "Favorite Lace Convention Memory!"

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center