How many others don't use the double head on a midlands bobbin? How long should bobbins be? Would it be worthwhile for bobbin makers to make single headed midlands bobbins as a general rule? Should they be longer than the 4 inches which seems to be fairly standard for midlands?
My understanding was that the particular shape of the double head on a Midlands bobbin designated the maker of that bobbin. It also looks pretty. I think a Midlands bobbin would not look as nice with a single head but would still make lace just as well. The double head also gives the lacemaker the option of hitching above or on the threads.
I hitch my threads on the thread area, no matter what kind of bobbin I use. It's easier for me to have only one method that works on any bobbin. I use a lot of continental bobbins, at least in recent years.
My favorite size of Midland bobbin is between 3-1/2 and 4 inches. I think it's more important to have the same or similar sized bobbins, than a particular length. If all the bobbins on a pillow are the same length, longer than 4" would work fine.
I find the that a difference in thickness of the bobbins is as disconcerting as a difference in length. 1/4 inch wide in the middle of the handle seems just right for my fingers to pick up. Thicker feels strange, and very thin are hard to pick up.
Just one person's preference. Alice in Oregon
- To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
