Hi Andy,
Welcome to Arachne!  I too joined (9 years ago!) before I started bobbin lace.
I live in a small
town in Australia, no lace teachers, so I taught myself from a book and got
(and still get) lots of
help from the list over the years.

Please consult us before you purchase any equipment - there are a couple of
things to be warned
about, like a "horror" kit for beginners which should be avoided at all costs!
Perhaps there is a
member already in your area who might be able to help get you started.

>From the signature line on your email, you sound like the kind of person who
>will enjoy this group a
lot!

Noelene in Cooma