On Jun 12, 2005, at 13:34, Lorri Ferguson wrote:

Tamara and others

I have worked some wire lace (I carved my own bobbins after seeing the
European ones). I think the later style with the hook at the top would be
much easier to work with, and much narrower on the pillow.

Probably so. But I learnt on the side-hook ones, so know for certain-sure that I can control the feed-out of the wire *and* how to do it. With the top-hook, I have doubts. With a batch of mixed bobbins (soome this way, some that), I *know* I'd be frustrated beyond bearing, and the Convention workshop is not supposed to be the time to get frustrated with your tools; you're supposed to get enough to chew on from the *new technique* :)

Thankfully, I got two offers of bobbin loans (that I managed to survive without Arachne - or anyone else, for that matter - for the first 6yrs of lacemaking, is a neverending miracle <g>), which, on top of the 14 prs I already own, will supply me with the 36prs required for the class. So that, even if there aren't any to buy at the Convention, I'll be "fixed". And so that, if there *are* some available, I can buy only a few pairs (round me off to 20 prs or so), instead of spending an equivalent of the class' tuition ($140) or more on them.

Love you all, with as much energy as is left to me by the hot and humid weather
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/