Susan wrote...

>  but not one picot will
remain in that imaginarily permanent position of two little tennis
rackets.  if you look at the thread while it is finished there is
nothing holding the picot in the position of the little brackets.
there is thread holding the picot where it is made and there is thread
pulled outward where the two picots go, but no way is that little thing
going to stay twisted in that shape without some other kind of help.
it is something that maybe some one will fix each time they wash it and
starch it to remain there?  it must be.  <

Hi Susan !

I may have misunderstood you, but from your description, it sounds as though
you're looking for picots in which there are two visible little loops for each
picot.  If this is correct, then you're not looking for the same "ideal" picot
that I look for.

In most lace, (and there are exceptions to every rule...) a picot is worked
around a pin in one of several methods and when the pin is eventually removed,
the picot should look as though the pin were still there, only invisible!!  In
other words, a perfect little "o" on top of a tiny, almost invisible "stem".
And ideally, it should lie flat on the same plane that the rest of the lace
lies on.  So if you're unable to get the "crossed tennis racket" look,  then
you've probably got ideal picots and didn't even know it!!

Clay