At 07:07 AM 7/30/2005, you wrote:
Although I don't think it's something we use much in lacemaking, I do know that at least some of the 'disappearing' ink type pens (that quilters use to draw the stitching lines on fabric), weaken the fibre and long term have left damage on quilts.
In my sewing days, I was taught to us a standard #2 lead pencil to mark lines on a quilt. These could be erased with a soft rubber eraser. The 'removable' blue lines on older quilts had reappeared after 20 years or so, and nothing would remove them. We did use the blue pens for various purposes, but with care.
It's possible that normal washing removes the residue of the blue pens, and the quilts with the problem lines had never been washed. There could also be factors of temperature or humidity that affected them. I never heard of the blue lines reappearing on a garment that was worn and washed.
Alice in Oregon - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
