On Saturday, July 30, 2005, at 11:07  AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Waxing the silk thread is also a normal thing to do for Goldwork embroidery.

I learnt Goldwork at the Royal School of Needlework and we were taught to wax (beeswax) our thread - cotton, polyester, or silk. I never thought of waxing my bobbin lace threads though, mainly because the purpose of it in Goldwork is to strengthen the threads since they go in and through metal. Since this doesn't apply to lace, I shudder to think of all the time involved waxing thread for hundreds of bobbins for no real result!

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada. Finally got my phone connection back after a week without service!
Visit the Seaspray Guild of Lacemakers web site:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/quinbot/seaspray/SeasprayLaceGuild.html