In a message dated 8/10/05 2:05:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> My worries as far as IOLI conventions go have been more than soothed, but I
>
> would like to say just once more that the "observers" in the class set up I
> was
> describing weren't free-loaders, they had paid a reduced rate to be there in
>
> that role, and therefore had the right to demand that the teacher's
> "performance" was observable.
>
> When Jean was telling us about it, and how demanding it had been to teach,
> my
> thoughts were that I personally would hate to be a student in a class of
> that
> sort, where what I was doing would also be part of the "floor show".

My!  My!

Something else for teachers to know.  I would recommend all teachers have a
permanent list of things they absolutely want and don't want in connection with
their teaching contracts.  Then, they can modify the contract to protect
themselves - or choose not to teach at a particular event where unique
arrangements have been made.

If you are a teacher, look at the contracts you have signed in the past and
set up a set of guidelines for yourself.

The teacher who encountered this unusual arrangement of "observers" is
extremely qualified.  She is from the U.K. and teaches many classes in the U.S.

(Probably other countries as well.)  Very experienced teaching at embroidery
conventions and local guilds in tandem with her business partner (they have
co-authored numerous books/booklets), and have been featured in many embroidery
publications.

There would be a variation of the contracts for overseas teaching.

Protect yourselves - teachers of lace and embroidery are professionals.  Many
have staggering levels of qualifications.  These should be respected, and the
individual level of flexibility should be carefully considered and discussed
with other teachers in the teaching field.  When you make exceptions, you may
be setting yourself up for exploitation.  And, you may be setting up the next
generation of teachers for exploitation.   This could be lethal to the
development of beautiful lace and embroidery in the future.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center
(Caring about the past.  Caring about the future)