Bobbins can certainly be made from lilac. I have some and they are lovely - there are lilacy mauve lines in the wood.

I'm not a bobbin maker, but it sounds good for someone who is. When we had the icestorm in 1998 (is is really that long ago) I lost a chunk of a large maple tree. I had someone make me bobbins from the wood and sold them at the lace day (suitably inscribed with the event and date).

Good luck in finding someone to make the bobbins - I'm sure they'll be lovely.

Malvary in Ottawa

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sally Schoenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 2:11 PM
Subject: [lace] lilac tree branch


Hi everyone,

The tree guys were here yesterday to prune our trees. One of them is a lilac tree, not a bush but a tree, and they cut one of its trunks close to the ground. It had to go because it was growing into the house but after all the pruning of it and another tree, the lilac tree will be getting a lot more light from another direction. Anyway, I saved the trunk. It's 6 to 6 1/2 inches in diameter and 15 feet in length. It's thought to be 50 years old and the tree guy said it's disease free. Bobbin makers: do you think bobbins can be made out of it? Is anyone interested in having a piece? They're free. Someone here wants a piece, and I would love to have a few bobbins made from it. I expect the wood will take a long time to dry out but that doesn't bother me. After all, my internal clock is set to lacemakers time.

Sally Schoenberg
Anchorage Alaska
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to