On Aug 26, 2005, at 3:11, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jacquie) wrote:

I wrote to Debra to ask how strictly the 2D aspect of it will be
enforced [...]
She confirmed that 3D will be disqualified. Bear this in mind if you do
Point de Gaze as those flowers often/usually have an extra 3D part.

I can't imagine that the anti-3D restriction would go as far as *that*... It would disqualify not only Rosalibre, but pretty much every *bobbin* lace, as well as Point de Gaze :)

"Proper" gimp in PG should be 6-8 times as thick as the "basic" thread (I still take Ulrike Loehr-Voelcker as my "guru" on that <g>) - that's a 3rd dimension right there, and that's without considering laces like Polychrome, where even the *worker* is far thicker than the basic thread... All PG laces removed from the roster?

Piece laces, like Honiton and Duchesse (esp Withof) love their rolled edges (and Sandi Woods has been introducing those into Milanese, to an excellent effect). All of those are "taboo"?

Can't imagine Russian tape (and similiar) with *nothing but* tape; it would be deadly boring... Yet, the tallies and "gimp in relief" add a 3rd dimension to the lace. Tallies, "verbotten"?

Not to mention the guipure laces like Beds - the tallies there are often not only a big part of the lace, but they like to be "laid on top" (raised), and even rolled, as an integral part of the lace. Out, out, the damned spot?

For that matter, some of the cords in Rumanian Point lace are 3-D, as are some elements of tatting. And the best examples of crocheted lace - Irish and Koniakow - are 3-D here and there. *Hedebo* (suggested by someone, and more embroidery than lace) is not dead-flat, either... All of those, banned?

I don't think so. At least, I don't want to think so :) I think (and hope) that the "no-no, 3-D" applies to pieces which are made to be 3-D by *post-process* (construction/assembly), not to the pieces where the 3-D aspect is an integral part of a technique...

That is, I *assume* that that's what *is* meant by the "no 3-D" rule... You can have a table runner which is 5mm in places and and 2mm in places, *if that's an integral part of the technique*. What you *can't* have is a "table structure", which is 2mm in one place and 50mm in another, because you'd sewn a beginning of a repeat to its end to make it bulge. Or have taken the thing off the pillow and made it into a flower, by coiling a length of lace.

By the same token, Rosalibre which is 3-D *by nature* (not by after-contrivance), and which is very colourful, should not be excluded, either... Not that I'm likely to make a piece that big (and that useless *to me*) in RL, even if it is allowed :)

We spend an inordinate amount of time to give our lace *texture*, which always makes the lace look *almost* 3-dimensional; if we were asked to go back to the uniform flatness of the very earliest laces (plaited and very early, gimpless, Torchon), it would be a form of rape and gag combined... :)

I just can't believe that that's what the Montreal group had in mind (especially since there's no earthly reason for it; as several people have said, the narrowness of the "table ribbon" means that whatever else is placed on the table, is placed *around* it, not *on* it). The rules would still be still extremely restrictive, but, *that* restrictive??? It wouldn't make sense at all, unless the results were *really* "fixed" already, and they were positively discouraging interesting entries (which I don't really believe, since Canada ain't US, and lace ain't politics <g>)

I'd appreciate a clarification - from those who'd set the rules - about this 2-D/3-D issue; if it were given soon, it could, perhaps, be included in the next IOLI Bulletin, with the contest rules that Debra intends to print there...

Yours, safely back from a trip to Charlottesville, where I attended a "hen party" (lots of fun) last night, and met Leona Farrell (Yvonne's daughter, at the U for the year from OZ. Lovely girl) for lunch today. The trip itself was the pits (intermittent rain on the way up, and unceasing rain as well as fog on the way back down. And a tank of gas - bought at the same place as always - is now a third up from what it used to be a couple of months ago), but such is life - a mixture of thick and thin... :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/