Hi All,  I've also been selling some things on eBay.  One thing I haven't
seen mentioned is to check on similar items that have sold or are selling.
In the US you can click on "Completed Items" (I think that's what it's
called) on the left and see similar items that have sold (or not) already.
I take note of the starting price, if it sold, for how much and the
category.  I never shop by category but some people do and
it makes a difference!  Longer descriptions seem to sell better too.

I sell things "as is" and the buyer can wash or iron it.  I also advise
against ironing as it will set any stains.  Can you hang them up so some
wrinkles hang out?  The background also makes a difference when
photographing white things.  On some doll clothes I added photos of the
stains and noted in the description if it was less noticeable in person than
in the photo.

My personal downfall on selling is I forget to weigh the item WITH
the box it's to be mailed in.  I didn't realize how much boxes weigh!
I chalk every error up to a "learning expereince" <G>.

I have some of MILs hankies and was going to sell them by 2 or 3 until I saw
that they sell best in larger groups.  The starting price is hard to figure
but checking other similar items helps me.  You do have to sell it if
someone bids on it.  A high starting price can discourage bids.  One item I
had did not get any bids when started at $10.00 but got 6 or 8 when started
lower ($3. or $4.).  It ended up selling for a little over $10.00 USD.

I upgraded to a Paypal Business account so I could accept credit cards.  I
want to get all the impluse buyers like me!  As has been mentioned some
people pay the instant an auction is done - very nice!  One thing that
surprised me is that no one writes anymore.  I've been buying things on eBay
for years and used to write all the time but not any more.  On my first sale
that made me very nervous, also that the address to send to was "not
verified".  I talked to a friend in town who sells a lot and he suggested I
insure the item for my own peace
of mind.  It went for $160.00 USD so it was worth it to me.  It all worked
out fine!  The many fees can seem like losing money but I figure it's worth
it to have the place to sell things.

The research into other items can see like work but I've found it pays off.
If you have more questions please write!

Jane in Vermont, USA where the heat is on, I guess autumn is here.