In a message dated 09/30/2005 12:14:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Pardon my ignorance, but why are so many of the lace books out of print? >>

Welcome to the lace world, Tracie!   It *is* frustrating that our books are
often quite expensive and frequently do go out of print much too soon.
Barbara's suggestion is a very good solution to both problems:  the only cost
is
postage (and IOLI membership, of course) and the collection is very
comprehensive.
 The reason lace books often do not stay in print is because there simply
aren't enough of us to buy them....another reason we need to "make more
lacemakers".....i.e. teach more people to make lace!  The (now defunct) Lace
Magazine
International used to print in each issue that every lacemaker had the
responsibility to teach at least seven new people to make lace.  If we all did
that,
we might keep more books in print...simply by increasing the demand.   As to
your question re: the cost, many of the books are imported (to the US anyway)
and this, along with the smallish print run, contributes to the
cost...especially now since the US dollar is so weak.  Not much we can do about
that at the
moment....but it tends to be cyclical and should eventually improve.  And.....I
know there are lacemakers in the Sacramento area....if no one else chimes in,
I will get some names for you but don't have any handy at the moment.

Happy Lacing.....this list is a wonderful resource for newbies as well as
those of us who aren't such newbies anymore.  I call it (along with the chat
list) the "Oracle" <g>.  I don't think there's a question one can pose that
someone on one of the lists can't answer! <g>

Vicki in Maryland who has probably set a personal record for most posts in a
single evening...but is now going to bed where she belongs!