Their irons were even more primitive - they didn't have a shell
with hinged door for the insert - the whole thing was heated

Hey, Tamara - we have a bunch of your "primitive" irons at work - and we use them every day. If we need to iron something (usually paper, sometimes leather or cloth) they go onto the hotplate to warm up, and when they're cool they make great weights. Ours are fairly tiny compared to modern irons - maybe 7" long (17.5 cm or thereabouts) but they're probably more recent than those in the Jackson house because the bottoms are polished stainless steel, and SS wasn't invented until 1906 or so.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)
PS: in case you're wondering, I work in a book bindery