Tamara
I don't think 24-28 gauge would be large enough.  18 ga. is 1mm thick and
could be twisted to form the texture and possible the strength needed.
Plaiting would be a lot harder to accomplish.
The twisting would 'work harden' (stiffen) the wire which should then support
the ornament.

Be sure to make the base heavy enough to keep it up-right.
Lorri

  Certainly a lot of them there, thanks! Some of the simpler ones - the
  ones which are made with "twisted wire"... I think it might be possible
  to make one's own, using thicker wire gauges -say 28 or 24 -  and
  plaiting, instead of just twisting (because copper is softer than
  brass). I'll have to take another look and think some more :)
  --
  Tamara P Duvall
http://t-n-lace.net/<http://t-n-lace.net/>