I was one of those "rogue" students to lacemaking.  I joined a guild,
attended about six weeks of two-hour meetings (classes), and then was
forced to drop out due to illness.  I had already been totally smitten by
the lace bug, however, and since our local teacher did not make "house
calls", I turned to the internet where I found the generous support of
other lacemakers.  I also discovered eBay, where I found a treasure-trove
of books and supplies which I "couldn't live without".  (not altogether
true, but at the time they seemed priceless!)

At about the same time, I learned that at my tender youthful age, I was
going to be a grandmother.  And just to be sure that I had not missed the
significance of this transition in my life (read: NOT youthful), BOTH of my
offspring made this announcement within days of each other.  So I decided
that Torchon just "wasn't suitable" for baby lace, and turned to Bucks,
which I essentially taught myself with the aid of books gleaned from eBay
(and the help of my "mentor" who lived over the mountain).  So within the
time available to me, I produced four yards of simple Bucks lace with which
to trim two modestly lacy, subtly smocked Christening Gowns for my two (you
guessed it...) grandsons.  When I look at this lace now, I see how clumsy
my efforts were.  But there is no questioning whether the lace is handmade
or not!!  (vbg)

I spent some time after that exploring other laces, taking workshops in
this and that... (that IS the American way!), before I rediscovered
Torchon.  A pattern for a bookmark which was offered on the Australian Lace
Guild website caught my fancy, and I ended up working this over and over
again, and enjoying each attempt.   Some of my basic skills improved
dramatically as I worked this pattern again and again, and I came to
appreciate the structure of this very versatile lace.

I'm now very immersed in a completely different form of lace, but I don't
think I could have gotten there without the essentials I gained from
Torchon.

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to