> Everyone else here who's a beginner seems to be making torchon.  Do
> most people start on torchon and am I slightly odd for starting with
> Beds?  OTOH, I did buy a torchon book from eBay at the beginning of
> the summer, but none of the patterns have jumped out at me as
> "must-makes", unlike a couple of the patterns in the Beds book I've
> got, so it's probably a good thing.

Well, I started by working through Rosemary Shepherd's beginners book and it
suited me fine.  Until I had to join an end to the beginning.  Yikes!

I bolted from Torchon as fast as I could because I couldn't make a decent
ending.  So I wandered all over the place into Beds and Bucks and Milanese and
Flanders where I dove into Flanders and came out immediately into Binche.  Very
American.

Torchon, while being very regular on that nice 45 degree grid, is also very
open.  Everything I did wrong in the joins stuck out like a sore thumb.

Eventually, under Ulrike Loehr, I learned to master the skills of joining lace.
 So now that I have been "around the world", so to speak, I am discovering the
joys of Torchon.

So I am STILL a newbie at Torchon.  Keeps me humble.

Patty