I have been hooked to anything what has to do with treads and needles.
So I learned crochet knitting and embroidery before I was 10 years old.
Nbody knew how to tat and I was 20 when an Indian woman teached me
tatting for 1/2 hour, that was enough to begin my first hankie with 2
threads.
Bobbin-lace has not a big tradition in my country, but I bought my first
bobbins and a beginner-book in Brugge, when I was 30 years old.
The beginning was not simple as my stiches looked right but the pieces
lokked terribly woobly and I was discouraged.
A few years later I took 20 hours lessons in Bayeux at the atelier de
l'horloge and I had a good start in Torchon. Back home I decided to find
a place near-by to have more lessons but it took me a year to discover a
place 100 km. from home where a woman had a class in her home. having
finished all she wanted to teach (torchon, russian tape, cluny), I
continued with her teacher (lille, flandern, paris and valencienne) and
now I am still learning in Binche first Duchesse, for the moment I am
refreshing my continious-lace and will finish with binche-lace.

Even if Binche is 250 km. from home I know I am blessed to have a
teacher, so many lace-maker have to learn with a book or video.

5 or 6 years ago I started to learn needle-lace with Irma Boone, wich is
my favorite lace.

Alix
from rainy Luxembourg.