Suzi,
The more I read of your shall I/shan't I buy this thread or that, the more
convinced I am that what your *need to buy first* is Brenda's book "Threads for
 Lace 3".  This would answer all your questions and solve all your problems
and dilemmas as to which thread to buy and which one is a substitute for
another.  It also allow you to use up thread that you may already have by
explaining to you what size you alter your pricking to so the thread  and
pricking
work together.

Brenda gave you a very technical formula for working out the length of
thread on a spool, but I would add the comment that unless 1) you are making a
tablecloth edge or another enormous project of that sort, 2) it is a *very,
very* thick thread or 3) the thread comes in tiny skeins (in which case it
will
most likely be sold by length not weight anyway - like embroidery silk),  then
the spool size will be enough for what you want to make.  In over 25  years
the only thread I can remember needing a second spool of was an acrylic
knitting type yarn of about 4ply thickness (whatever that is in US English)
and I
was making a Tshirt!  If you are working in more than one colour the  above
applies even more, because you may only be winding a few pairs in each  colour.
don't even consider how much is on a reel because I know there  is always
enough - as my enormous part-used-reel thread stash will  testify.  The fibre,
thickness and colour are what I base my choice  on.

Most of my students have a copy of the "Threads Book"; the only one who
refuses to have her own copy, "because she doesn't need it", is actually the
one
who needs it most!  The very first time I was showing (and selling) the  book
in class she said "No, she wouldn't have a use for it" and within an hour  had
fished out a new pattern and the few threads she has and asked which she
could use instead of the recommended one!!!!!

Jacquie in Lincolnshire.